• More

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I
J | L | M | NO | PQ | R | S | T | UV | Z

-NO-

Negative amortization/Deferred interest Non-liquid asset
Net rental income Note
Non-conforming loans Origination fee
Non-institutional lender

Negative amortization/Deferred interest
A condition created when a loan payment is less than interest alone and the difference is added to the principal

An Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM) gives you flexible payment options. You can make the minimum monthly payment and defer interest, pay interest only, or pay an amount to amortize the loan over 15 or 30 years. Any difference between the interest accrued and the actual payment you make is added to the loan balance. This is known as negative amortization.

See: Adjustable rate mortgage (ARM), Payment cap
Compare: Amortization

Top

Net rental income
The total annual earnings from a rental property

Any rental income is included as part of your yearly income. Normally, lenders will only apply 75% of this amount to your income leaving the remaining 25% to account for any vacancies that year.

Top

Non-conforming loans
Any loan that allows you to borrow over a certain amount set by the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae) or the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac)

See: Jumbo loan

Top

Non-institutional lender
Any non-traditional lender

Banks and savings and loan associations are traditional lenders, but other companies also offer mortgage lending, such as mortgage companies, title companies, universities, pension funds and individual investors.

See: Mortgage banker

Top

Non-liquid asset
A valuable item not easily converted into cash

Investments, such as real estate, cars or boats, are examples of non-liquid assets since they can take a long time to sell.

Compare: Liquid asset

Top

Note
A written promise to pay back money at a specified time

See: Promissory note

Top

Origination fee
A service fee charged by the lender and/or broker that is due on the closing date

This fee is usually a percentage of the loan amount.

See: Closing costs

Top